Every Classroom Matters episode 203
From the Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis
Follow @coolcatteacher on Twitter
The four minutes beginning and ending class matter most according to teacher Brian Sztabnik. Today we talk about how to make the most of those valuable minutes. How you handle these minutes may just determine whether you’re a good teacher or a great one. Sure, there’s lots of reasons for starting class slowly or ending early. The great ones to do neither.
The great ones make use of the four minutes at the beginning of class and those four minutes at the end. But what should you do? Today we talk with Brian Sztabnik, about these critical times in the classroom.
Essential Questions: Teaching Strategies: Why the First and Last Four Minutes Matter Most with Brian Sztabnik
- What are some engaging ways you can start class tomorrow?
- What are some powerful ways a writing or composition class can begin the class period?
- How can you end on an up note?
- If you really do have to end class early and have a few extra minutes, what you should actually be doing with the students yourself (instead of grading at your desk.)
- Ideas for tweeting in the classroom without having access to Twitter
Helpful Links from this Show
- Brian Sztabnik on Twitter @talkswteachers
- Brian’s website
- The 8 Minutes that Matter Most by Brian Sztabnik on Edutopia
- New Book! The Best Lesson Series: Literature: 15 Master Teachers Share What Works (Volume One)
- Harry Wong’s The Classroom Management Book for ideas on starting and ending class
- Check out the Twitter Bulletin Board Ideas on Pinterest (I love “If famous people could tweet”)
- Want to talk about this in a staff meeting? Rebecca Pfenninger created a cool “10 Minute Staff Meeting” video presentation inspired by Brian’s Blog post with some relevant research included. (This presentation starts with the BORING but hilarious Ferris Bueller scene! Use this in your staff meeting to help everyone start and end class well!)
- Inspiring YouTube Videos Collection may have some ideas.
The post Beginning and Ending Class Like a Pro with Brian Sztabnik appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!
from Cool Cat Teacher BlogCool Cat Teacher Blog http://www.coolcatteacher.com/brian-sztabnik-beginning-ending-class/